True Pursuit is a men’s ministry founded by Pete Emhoff and the members of his Rear Guard (Board of Directors). Every man needs other men to walk along side of them. True Pursuit enables Pete to be available to do this. If you would like to get in contact with Pete, please email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more please continue to browse our website.
Everything begins with the heart. Who we are deep inside; that person that God meant when He meant you. The Bible says that the battle is not between flesh and blood, but between forces of Good and Evil and it is over our hearts. Christ came to earth to show us how to live and fight this battle for our hearts. He died to free us, and rose again to fight for us, and ascended into Heaven with all power and authority to be our LORD.
Today we still live this way. Fighting for our hearts and for the hearts of others in this incredible life that God has called us up into. Our everyday actions are not trivial, they are vital. To some, our intervention could mean the difference between their spiritual life or death. We must be ready and on the alert, for our enemy is like a roaring lion ready to devour us. We also must know who we are and what our mission and purpose is.
For most men, life is about getting a good education, good job, good marriage, family and then just trying not to blow it. Something deep within us whispers that there is something more, much more. But how do we find it? Is it for everyone, or just a select few?
True Pursuit exists to empower men to pursue what is true about their hearts, lives and calling. It is our purpose to help men interpret the messages and stories of their lives. This, in turn, will bring into view the greater story in which our strength and glory will play a crucial role.
God desires freedom and restoration for our lives. Why then are we still bound to things that keep us from this freedom? Most of us believe that we are to blame; that it’s our fault, but it is not. We want to help men discover the things that keep them from the freedom that Christ offers, release them and help them begin to live from their true heart that has been hidden for so long.
Our mission is to set every man free from the chains that hold him; set every man free from the strongholds of addiction and deception. We want to show you freedom and invite you into a life that is full. Our mission is to help every man find the glory, the passion, and the desires that God has placed in him.
In January 2005 Pete invited six friends, who share his love for Jesus and his passion to rescue the hearts of men, to a meeting at his house. The invitation was for the men to consider joining Pete in this great adventure that God was calling him to…he knew he needed other men to walk with him in this journey. It was unanimous, each man enthusiastically said yes, and the Rear Guard (board of directors) was born. It would be another nine months before Pete would leave Young Life and start True Pursuit.
In his book Wild at Heart, John Eldredge says not to ask the question “how” but rather ask “what”. God is the god of how, and He certainly has that part of the equation figured out. So as nerve racking as it was for Pete and his wife Patty, the next several months were spent praying and asking Jesus what He wanted this thing to look like. Having never done anything like this before, Pete and the board were trying to discern how to proceed. In the mean time Pete had given his notice to Young Life that he would be leaving at the end of August. After many attempts to find a compatible foundation to come under Pete flew to Seattle the second week in August to meet with a man doing a similar ministry, and who was willing to show Pete how to go through the process of acquiring a 501c3 status, without costing a small fortune. We submitted our application in early September and within 34 days we received word from the IRS that we were approved. How cool is that? God is the god of how.
The Rear Guard were unanimous in their desire to keep True Pursuit simple in its structure. They saw the value of staying small, mobile, adaptive so that we could maintain our goal to “be available to take Jesus plus nothing to men”.
In April 2008 we put on our first annual True Pursuit Weekend in Michigan. The weekend is patterned after the Wild at Heart Boot Camps that our friends at Ransomed Heart host in Colorado, but the message is uniquely ours. In 2010 we joined efforts with a group of men in Central NY who had a desire to offer a weekend to men, but needed help with the presenting. We call it the True Pursuit Weekend CNY, but it is held at a camp near Scranton, PA.
Even though the TP weekends, and the opportunities to speak at churches, and other men’s events are the most visible part of True Pursuit. The main focus of this ministry continues to be the daily one-on-one meetings that Pete has with men. Out of his own story comes a deep passion to rescue the hearts of men, and to lead them into healing and freedom.
If you are interested in having the True Pursuit team come and help you do a weekend, or speak to the men in your church, please email or give Pete a call at 734.904.4476
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, only, infallible, inerrant, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe in the One True God, The Sovereign, eternal Creator of all that exists, both seen and unseen. God is eternally existent in three persons, yet one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe God created mankind in His image. Adam and Eve, the first human beings, chose to rebel against God and go their own way. As a result, all of mankind became separated from God; the image of God in man was distorted; mankind became subject to the power of the devil; and the sinful nature was passed on to all their progeny. Because of original sin, unregenerate human beings are incapable of pleasing or commending themselves to God. The only remedy for mankind’s pitiful predicament is redemption through faith in Jesus Christ.
- We believe that when a person exercises saving faith in Christ he passes, immediately, out of spiritual death into spiritual life and from the old creation into the new, a new nature and a new heart imparted; being justified freely by grace, he is accepted before the Father as Christ, His Son, is accepted and loved as Christ is loved–having his place and portion linked to Christ and one with Christ – forever.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of, both, the saved and the lost–they who are saved unto the resurrection of life and they who are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.